On Tuesday, September 30, 2025, President Trump demanded Hamas to accept the US-backed Gaza peace plan within three to four days. Hamas stated that they would “review the proposal in good faith and respond.”
President Trump told the media on Tuesday that Israeli and Arab leaders had already approved the peace plan, and now they were waiting for Hamas to make a decision. He gave Hamas a deadline of “three to four days” to respond.
“Either Hamas follows through, or they don’t. If they don’t, it will be a very unfortunate outcome,” Trump added.
When asked if there would be room for further negotiations if Hamas rejected the 20-point proposal aimed at ending the two-year conflict, the president replied, “Not much.”
On Monday, during Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu’s visit to the White House, the US released the Gaza peace plan document. Subsequently, Qatar and Egypt, who were involved in mediating, shared the plan with Hamas.
Hamas did not directly participate in the negotiations that led to the plan. An official familiar with the negotiations told Reuters that Hamas would “review the proposal in good faith and respond.”
The proposal includes immediate ceasefire by both sides, Hamas releasing all detained hostages, exchange of Palestinian prisoners held by Israel, phased withdrawal of Israel from Gaza, disarmament of Hamas, and the establishment of a transitional government led by international institutions.
Many elements of these 20 points have been part of numerous ceasefire agreements proposed in the past two years, which Israel and Hamas have accepted at different stages but later rejected.
Since the outbreak of the conflict, one of Hamas’s main conditions has been the complete withdrawal of Israel from Gaza in exchange for the release of remaining hostages. Despite expressing willingness to relinquish administrative power, the organization has consistently refused to disarm.
Hamas is under significant pressure to accept the plan, with diplomatic ministers from Saudi Arabia, Jordan, the UAE, Qatar, and Egypt welcoming the initiative.
A spokesperson for the Qatari Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated that the head of Turkish intelligence would discuss the peace proposal with Qatari and Egyptian mediators later on Tuesday in Doha. In the efforts for peace in Gaza over the past two years, Turkey has not previously been a major mediator.
It is not clear if Hamas officials will attend the meeting on Tuesday. In the past, when Hamas leaders gathered in Qatar to discuss the US peace plan, Israel attempted to strike them with missiles but failed.
The White House confirmed that Netanyahu apologized to the Qatari president for the attack on September 9 and promised it would not happen again.
The Israeli public, weary of war, is increasingly pressuring Netanyahu to end the conflict. However, if he makes too many concessions to reach a peace agreement, his governing coalition also faces the risk of dissolution.
In Gaza, some Palestinian residents welcome Trump’s peace plan, believing it could end bombings and casualties, but they question whether the plan will ultimately end Israeli control over the region.
On October 7, 2023, Hamas-led militants attacked Israel, resulting in approximately 1,200 deaths and 251 people being taken hostage. Subsequently, Israel began a campaign against the Gaza Strip. The Gaza Health Ministry reported over 66,000 deaths in this attack.
On Tuesday, Israeli forces further advanced into the central area of Gaza City, with Netanyahu calling it Hamas’s last stronghold.
(Part of this article is based on reports from Reuters)
